Why build with timber?
Why timber is a good choice for building materials
- Timber products are produced from trees, a naturally renewable resource.
- Most timber products are grown in managed plantations
- Timber products store carbon, reducing the amount of carbon in the atmosphere.
- Less energy and fossil fuels are required to produce lumber products, than to manufacture concrete and steel.
- Waste is virtually eliminated when trees are used to make wood products. Bark, trims and sawdust are used as an energy source to help power production facilities.
Timber products are:
- Widely available.
- Easy to use.
- Have good strength to weight ratios.
- Have good fastener holding ability.
Outdoor construction projects must be protected from:
- Fungal decay